Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dedication


To Leon Werth

I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. he needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom this grown up grew. All grown-ups were once children -- although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication:

To Leon Werth
When he was a little boy.



Okay so I'm starting The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery and this was his dedication in the beginning. It is a well beloved story by both children and adults alike. It can be compared to Peter Pan and the whole idea of not wanting to grow up but in a more level-headed fashion. Peter Pan endorses mischief and fun while The Little Prince has a wise way of maintaining the magic of your youth even as you take on responsibilities of an adult. This book explores the very basic philosophies of what is important to us, why is it important, and is it beneficial to hold this in such high regard?

No comments:

Post a Comment